Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sea Anemone Tutorial

Summer is officially in full swing!  And I figured it was time for my first tutorial.  This is an easy, simple, and [cheap] way to decorate for an Under the Sea party or event.  I was in charge of music at Vacation Bible School this summer.   Our theme was "Operation Overboard," and I was in the "Choral Reef." (so punny).  I saw a couple anemones like this floating around the church, so I decided to try my hand at them myself!  I hope you like them and can use them at your next summer bash!

Tools needed:
  1. pool noodle
  2. yarn
  3. scissors
  4. tape


Begin by cutting a regular size pool noodle into pieces varying between 2 and 4 inches in height.

Use any type or color of yarn that you like.  I suggest using bright colors that contrast the color of your noodle.

Begin by wrapping the yarn around your fingers to create the top of your anemone.


Once you have reached the desired thickness, cut the remaining yarn a little longer than twice the length of the wrapped piece.  Pinch the end (the pinky side) so that it has about half an inch free.


Use the loose end of the string to wrap 2-3 times around the base of the loops.  Then, wrap the string through the vertical loops twice and pull through. (You are not actually making a knot, simply securing the tie.)

Pull the loose end of the string tight until it becomes the length of the rest of your yarn loops.  Then, cut the loops so that you create the top of your anemone.

Now, stuff your yarn tops into the holes of the noodles!  I did not feel the need to glue them in place, but now we be the time to do that.


Your finished anemones should look like this.

To group your anemones together for placement, use tape as shown below.  DO NOT USE HOT GLUE.  The hot glue will just melt the noodles.  If you would like to use a Tacky Glue or another form of adhesive, I think that would work well, too.


Use two pieces of tape, about 3 inches in length and make a cross - sticky side up.  Then place your anemones on to the tape.

I used groups of 3 and 4, but if you would like larger groupings, just use longer strips of tape and more anemones!


To finish, had some blue fabric and a fishing net or two.  This is great for a center piece or table decoration for any Under the Sea or Happy Summer Celebration!


I hope you have enjoyed this brief tutorial!  I love taking something I've looked at a hundred times and turning it into something fresh and exciting.  Let me know if you have any questions.


Happy Crafting!
-JD

No comments:

Post a Comment