Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Love Conquers All

I had the opportunity to spend some time with my grandma this weekend.  "Ahma Cille" as she is called (my pronunciation of Grandma Lucille when I was a kiddo) is one of the more sentimental people that I know.  But Friday, she shared with me a story I have never heard before.  Allow me to go back to 1952, the year that my grandparents were married...

They were each living in Johnson City.  Ahma worked at the Social Security office downtown, and Papa worked at his restaurant, Rainbo Corner.  They had been "courting" for a while, and Papa had asked Ahma to marry him (she said yes, if you didn't already guess that).  Before they were married, my great-grandfather, Gus, got very sick with cancer.  He lived in Greenville, TN, and so Ahma would go home on the weekends to spend time with him and to help take care of him.  This was the only time Ahma and Papa (Bill and Lucille back then) really spent apart.  And so, Ahma has two letters from my Papa, only two.  And she decided to share them with me.


My grandfather was a witty man.  Incredibly clever and funny.  He had eyes that always, always smiled.  So, to hear the sweet words that he wrote her was like seeing a whole new side to the man I always knew.  The letters were not long or drawn out, but the words had depth and breadth.  The letters were simple, much like their love.  The second one was sent after Ahma's father had passed away.  In the letter, Papa said he wished he could take Ahma's pain and heartache and make it his.  And that he would always take care of her.  He signed it, "With all my love, Bill".  Then there was a P.S.  It said that Ahma had promised him all of her happiness, but to not leave him out of her unhappiness as well - he wanted to be part of it all.  This was signed "Same as above, only more,  Bill."  I couldn't help but tear up as she read them to me.  The words were few, but they were resolute and strong.




My grandparents were married almost 58 years.  And I can honestly say, that they loved each other as much, if not more, at the very end as they did when those letters were written.  Love like that doesn't come around very often, so I think that when you find it, you better hold on tight.  My grandfather used to joke when my mom would sing a solo or my cousin and I would have ballet performances that we had done "just like he taught us".  Of course, he never danced or sang a day in his life.  But he taught us all so much more.  He taught us all how to laugh and love.


I have realized from these new stories that I have heard, that life is about the little things.  It is the small, simple kindnesses that we share with one another that make a difference in the end.  It is not about buying outrageous gifts or going on elaborate vacations - although neither of these things are bad.  It is about living in the here and now - making a difference today.  So, say what you mean, and mean what you say.  Make someone smile.  Be bold.  What are we all waiting for, anyway?  Let's just do it now.


Live with love,
-JD

No comments:

Post a Comment