Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My Kind of Romance

Something you should know about me - I am a hopeless romantic.  Blame it on Disney, blame it on fairy tales, blame it on chick flicks. It doesn't really matter why I am this way, the fact of the matter is that this is part of who I am.


I am a right brain type of girl, influenced entirely too much by my emotions. I am an idealist to the max - an optimist, a dreamer, and so on. But here is the deal...I kind of like unconventional romance. I don't like roses or overly done candlelit dinners.  I prefer Barn Party or a silly date party over a fancy formal any day.  I like jewelry, but I think I would prefer getting tickets to a concert or something like that.  I like gifts that are given because the person who loves you was paying attention to something you wanted, not just candy and flowers because they think they are supposed to.






One of the sweetest things Alex has ever done for me is something that was seemingly insignificant in the grand scheme of things.  It happened the summer before our junior year of college.  I was in a show that had rehearsal in Farragut, and I was driving there and back every night.  Clearly, I was driving a lot, and gas prices were rising almost daily.  Alex and I had been hanging out at my apartment, and I made a comment about how much I was having to spend on gas and that is was draining my funds.  Later that night, he said he needed to run to get something from his house, and he wanted to borrow my car to go and get it.  I didn't think a thing about it.  But when we went to my car later that night to take him back home, my gas tank was full.  He had taken my car and filled it up...just because.




I know that it wasn't extravagant, or anything particularly special.  But it was such a kind and thoughtful thing for him to do for me.  It wasn't hard, it didn't take a lot of time or planning, but it was something I will never forget.  I'm a simple kind of girl I guess.  Give me a date night on the couch with a movie and a pint of Ben and Jerry's, and you've got one happy camper.  I think we should all appreciate the little things a little more - that's the stuff that memories are made of.




Live with love,
-JD

2 comments:

  1. That's my boy :) Thanks for the confirmation that he does listens to things we teach him. Ha Ha
    Love your transparency.

    ReplyDelete