Friday, June 1, 2012

20-Something

20-Something.  I have recently come to the conclusion that this title applies to me.  And I have recently come to become quite familiar with the symptoms of quarter-life crisis.  So, naturally, being a planner has gotten the best of me.  I have a brand new college degree (although that seems nearly impossible), am beginning a master's degree in the fall, and am on the cusp of some big time changes in my life.  Bring it on.  It's time for a change of scenery - even though I will be calling Knoxville and THE University of Tennessee home for a couple more years.  Rocky Top you'll always be...

Back to the plan.  I have kept a Life List on and off throughout my life, but I am now making one specific to my twenties.  The goal is to achieve all of these before the big 3-0.  I have plenty of years to make them happen - right?  Here is where we are so far, in no particular order.

Cut a demo.
Live downtown.
Read the classics.
Travel to Italy.
Audition for a Broadway show.
Get a teaching job.
Learn to cook.
Become a runner.
Get a puppy.
Get my Master's degree.

These are feasible goals.  At least they seem so right now.  I am starting with Read the classics.  I have unofficially dubbed this summer "Summer Reading - By Choice."  Some of these are first time reads, some are ones I am re-reading.

The list currently includes:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass - Lewis Caroll
The Help - Kathryn Stockett (I know this isn't a classic, but I really want to read it!)
A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

One of the reasons I love literature is one of the reasons I love music - it is always the same,yet, it is constantly changing.  The words or notes written hundreds of years ago are constant, but they way they touch us are different every time we return.  I am looking forward to seeing where these words will take me!

Live with love,
-JD


P.S.  I don't know about the "selfish years," but I do know that I don't plan on touching the ground.  Here's to having a wandering soul... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment