Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pomp and Circumstance

When I was little, my brother and I had our fair share of, shall we say, disagreements.  Of the ones my parents knew about, my dad would say, "Jenny, when you grow up, there are going to be things you can tell your brother that you can't tell anyone else.  He will be your best friend."  Granted, Reed and I got along better than most siblings, and we have always been close.  But I can honestly say I never truly believed my dad's statement.  But as we grew up, started driving around town together, and even after I left for school, Reed and I became closer and closer.




On May 28, my sweet little (but much bigger than me) brother graduated from high school.  He played varsity baseball, was president of the Topper Nation sports club, and was an official Flag Runner at the football games.  He was given an award for most School Spirit and the Principal's award for best all around student.  I know I'm bragging, but whatever.  That's my job.  But something that made me most proud was that he was elected by his classmates as Senior Speaker.  This was especially cool because my dad was elected as Senior Speaker when he graduated from our same alma mater years before.


Sitting there watching my little, baby brother address his classmates, friends, family, and hometown, I couldn't help but tear up a little.  Seeing him grow into a young man of integrity, faith, and loyalty has been such a blessing in my life.  I am so excited for him to come to UT in the fall.  (17 days, but who's counting) I could not be more proud Reed, my little brother and more importantly, my best friend.

Can't wait for the fall!
People say you can't choose your family and that is true, but I got the brother I would have picked anyway.

Live with love,
-JD


3 comments:

  1. you are so cute. i love your family, i love Reed, I miss your parents, i love you, i love TN. come to florida for the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure know how to bring a tear to someone's eyes. What a sweet tribute to your brother. You are so blessed to have such a loving family.

    ReplyDelete