Monday, September 8, 2014

waiting, prayerfully

It's Monday.  Sometimes I learn things on Mondays.  A lot of times, Mondays sit in a fog.  But, sometimes, Mondays shift into focus.  After a weekend that has refreshed my heart and my soul, this day is just good.  That isn't to say that it is easier than other days. Or slower.  Or out-of-the-ordinary.  But there is something different about it.  Days have been kinda hard as of late.  Lots of change, lots of sad.  After a long season of feeling enormously led, even in the tiniest of decisions and steps, this most recent time has been, well, quiet in that department.  Today feels like a new season might be on my horizon - much like my beloved fall, which promises to show itself soon. Today I'm grateful for things that renew my spirit: local music with JC & watching football games smack-dab between Mama D and Spanky & my cuddly puppy & chai tea & the book of Romans.  So grateful.

I don't read Anne Lamott regularly, or even know much about her.  But I stumbled upon something that she shared with her readers today.

"Fifteen years ago, my pastor Veronica said that when she had no clue what direction to take, she imagined standing in a spotlight, as if on stage, and waited, prayerfully, until one more spotlight began to appear nearby. Then she would go stand in that circle of light."

Wow.  I just love that.  Moving from light to light.  Prayerfully considering our next steps, and taking action after the Leader of our hearts has revealed a glimpse of what we're supposed to do.  And using a stage to teach me that?  Well, the tiny dancer in my soul grins because that image must have come from a kindred spirit that needed to learn that lesson, too.  Funny how that works.

I'm going to fight hard against the temptation to take this season into my own hands.  To seek Light, first...not my own understanding.  For now, I'm just waiting, prayerfully.



No comments:

Post a Comment