Tuesday, August 26, 2014

goodbye to 449

In August of 2012, I moved into the most magical little downtown apartment I could have ever imagined.  Complete with exposed brick walls, polished concrete floors, and plenty of character, I quickly turned Apartment 449 into my home.  It was almost effortless, really.  It was like we just got each other - because I am romantic enough to believe that places have personalities.

This sweet little home of mine allowed me to grow up.  I experienced big life changes, made difficult decisions, hosted my first parties, and adopted a puppy here.  I started graduate school and received a Master's degree here.  Jordan picked me up for our first date here.  I accepted my first full time job here.  I learned how to cook [sort of] here.  449 was the place I sipped coffee, had quiet time, watched my favorite movies, and really learned who I am.  And I will be forever grateful for it's cozy, comforting walls.

Leaving 449 was more difficult than I expected.  It was abrupt and quick - and a teary goodbye was given my last night there that nearly broke my heart.  Although that sounds terribly dramatic and I know that a new adventure is just around the corner, there is a bittersweet sadness to leaving your first grown-up home - the one where you really made a place yours for the first time.  But, it is time for me to leave, to find a new nest, only blocks away [more to come on that].  And there is peace in knowing that time is not ours, but belongs to the One who is much wiser than we can ever hope to be.

My prayer as I left 449 was that those who call it home next are welcomed with the same warm embrace I felt my first night there.  That it knows they need a place to call theirs as much as I did.  That they laugh there and find comfort there and share it with all of their friends and family.  That they become regulars at Pete's and Soccer Taco and Cafe 4.  That they call 449 home as quickly as I did.  That they love this special home like no place they've ever known.  And that, when it is time for them to go, it is a bittersweet goodbye.








No comments:

Post a Comment